Archive for the ‘PDA plugin’ Category
dev.mobi publishes an article about PDA-mambot:
Mobile Sites with Joomla! CMS
It can be used as a tutorial on work with PDA-mambot.
Recently at a forum.joomla.org, it was raised a question: why it is not possible to visit a site through SSL-connection with the mobile device (really a question was another ). At the same time, all was ОК with a usual (desktop) browser.
After some experiments and search on the Internet I have understood, that the reason of such behavior can be only one: the majority of mobile devices contain only a few basic “root certificates” and not download other from the Internet.
Recently the following question is very popular:
When I try to login, I get an error message. Why?
The problem consists of several parts:
- If it is specified in options of “Login Form” module to display a script at login or logout, the PDA cannot process this script and you will see the empty screen (or an error).
- The PDA does not support cookies. In this case, Joomla! will display a script and you will see the empty screen (or an error).
- The PDA supports cookies, but in full accordance with the standard:
Only hosts within the specified domain can set a cookie for a domain and domains must have at least two (2) or three (3) periods in them to prevent domains of the form: “.com”, “.edu”, and “va.us.” Any domain that fails within one of the seven special top level domains listed below only require two periods. Any other domain requires at least three. The seven special top level domains are: “COM”, “EDU”, “NET”, “ORG”, “GOV”, “MIL”, and “INT”.
In this case on some domains (e.g., without “www.” or with regional TLD) the PDA will not remember cookies and as a result Joomla! will solve that the PDA does not support cookies (see item 2).
As far as I have understood from comments on this site (and even from a separate topic on forum.joomla.org), there is a big interest to the version of a PDA-mambot for Mambo CMS. The matter is that the version for Joomla cannot work in Mambo as the latter does not trigger “OnStart” event. In order to PDA-mambot start working, it is necessary to make changes to a index.php file and to modify slightly a PDA-mambot since in Mambo and Joomla the name of a new template is stored in different variables.
I suggest to discuss prospects of further development of PDA-mambot/plugin.
I have following ideas:
- Definition of browser type with the aid of WURFL library (it will be released in forthcoming version 2.2).
- Support of three separate templates for wap, i-mode and wap2/xhtml mobile browsers.
- Redirect to a corresponding subdomain for mobile devices.
- Opportunity in template parameters to specify a logo and a slogan of a site.
- Opportunity to view the mobile version of a site through a virtual directory (i.e. through http://site.com/pda/; it is useful if creation of a subdomain is impossible for any reason).
- For Joomla!1.0 - additional postprocessing of generated pages. Probably, to add caching results of postprocessing.
- For Joomla!1.5 - to include in a template(s) the changed layout of standard components and modules (that basically is impossible in Joomla!1.0).
- A script for check of updates which can be started on the schedule (through cron, for example).
- Also it would be quite good to reduce in passing big images that they don’t exceed the size of the mobile screen. But I do not know yet how to make it.
I wait impatiently for your suggestions, comments, help in realization etc. (more…)
The quantity of mobile devices in the world greatly outnumber quantity of desktops in houses and offices, therefore creation of sites convenient for users of mobile devices is not a rarity. And whether your Joomla-site is designed for viewing by means of mobile devices? If no, it is easy to correct it with the pda-mambot.